Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy 7th Anniversary!


Today we celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary. We went out to dinner on Friday night and talked about old memories, our kids, our wonderful life and what we want in our future (ahem boat!!). We met back in 1994 when I was a lowly sophomore in high school starting a new job at The Super Duper. Roland was going to JCC and it seemed like he was a million years older than me. It was only 3 years, but when one person is in high school and the other is in college there is a big difference. We dated briefly, but at that stage of our lives the age difference was too great and I cowardly ended it after only a month. (story for another time) Who would have predicted that 2 years later in 1996 after I graduated that we would end up at a party together and the rest is history. Roland got me through a very tough first semester at SUNY Potsdam when I just wanted to drop out because I hated being away from home. He would come and see me every Wednesday night in Potsdam to hang out and watch 90210 after he had worked a full day and then drive back to Watertown in the early hours of what was then Thursday to turn around and go back to work. I would look forward to Wednesdays so very much.

Then I came home and spend a year and a half at JCC where we were inseparable. I just couldn't spend enough time with him. Looking back it seems semi-stalkerish! At the end of my sophomore year in college we decided that he was going back to school to finish his degree so why not go away together. We visited a couple of colleges and decided to apply to SUNY Oswego. Luckily we both got in and started making plans to leave. I knew that going away together would be perfect and I would never be homesick with him by my side. WRONG! I disliked being away once again and came home quite often. I went through 2 roommates until we decided that we would like to get a place together. It would just be easier if we lived together. So our second semester as juniors we found an apartment and moved in together. We were the happiest we had ever been and it was a great trial run for us later on in life.

Next we graduated from Oswego and decided to apply for jobs all over northern and central NY. Low and behold after a long summer of teaching interviews I was offered a job in Clayton, NY. I moved home very quickly and started in September. In the meantime, Roland was still working at The Big M in Oswego and looking for a job. In mid fall he was offered a job at VAC in Watertown and we started looking for an apartment in Watertown. We found one and then a better one so we made 2 moves in 4 months. On my birthday during my first year of teaching Roland popped the question and the rest is history.

I had the time of my life planning our wedding and honeymoon. When all was said and done I was so sad to have it all be over. We had fabulous bachelor/bachelorette parties, wedding showers, rehearsal dinner, wedding day and honeymoon. I couldn't have asked for a better husband and best friend!

Now, 7 years later we have 2 beautiful children, great jobs, great family and friends and a beautiful home. I could not have asked for a better life if I had dreamed it up!
I could ramble on and on about the past 13 years but I won't bore you!! Here is to many many more wonderful years together as a family!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Aww... you guys are so cute! I still remember both of you working at Super Duper, seems like it was just yesterday.

Glad you had a wonderful anniversary! Here's to many, many more.

AMANDA said...

Love u guys. Happy Anniversary!